February 28, 2013

The first thumb chair is done!

I finally finished the first thumb chair!  Why do these projects always seem to take so long?

I forgot to put the pocket holes for the seat in when I cut the pieces to length
so I added them here.

The plan called for 4 pocket holes for the seat back but I put 5 to play it safe.

I drilled a 1 inch hole in the seat back for a thumb.

Here is the hole sanded smooth.

Time for some finish sanding

And more sanding....

I couldn't think of a good way to clamp the 2 pieces together and like always
my piece drifted a little bit when I screwed it together.  I thought of a possible way
to clamp it for next time so we will see if that works better on the next one.

The 2 pieces are ready for assembly!

 I centered and clamped them and then screwed them together.  No glue.

 Here is the chair ready for stain. 

Here it is stained.  If you have seen any of my other kid projects then you know
that I used the same stain to try and make them all match.

Somehow, I always manage to blow out the thumb on the glove on my right hand
when I stain projects.

1st coat of poly applied.

I let it sit over night and then gave it a light sanding and applied the second coat.

3rd coat of poly applied and it is ready to go in the house!

I put some self adhesive felt pads on the bottom of the feet.  I don't know if they will last
but it is worth a try.  I forgot to mention it above but I also put 2 coats of poly on the bottom
of the chair as well.

All ready for my 2 boys to start fighting over.  I better get the second one done
quick!

February 20, 2013

Table Saw Blade Selection

I went to Lowes yesterday to pick up a small detail sander with a gift card from my wife.  While I was there I took a look at their table saw blades.  I didn't buy one because I wanted to do some research on what the different tooth counts were good for.  I checked my YouTube subscriptions this morning and lo and behold, there is a video from the WWGOA on just that topic.  I need to start thinking about how to win the lottery next....



February 18, 2013

Last minute Valentine's present. A gift box!

Back in November of 2012 I picked up a few 1x6x24 1/2" thick boards so I could enter A Simple Design of Ocala's box making contest.I got busy around the holidays and never got a chance to build anything out of them.  Fast forward to the day before Valentine's day and I decided to build my wife a gift box.  I tried to keep it as simple as possible and finished it just in time to give to her.

 
 
I started out with the goal of making the box sized to fit a standard 4x6 photo
on the inside of the lid.

I cut eveything to length with my mitre saw.  On a side note, I always called it a
chop saw until I started watching woodworking videos.  Is there a difference between the two?
 
All the sides cut to length.

I then cut them to the proper width.

A quck dry fit to test the inner dimensions.
 
I used some scrap to refine the depth and width of the rabbits.
I used a 1/2" straight bit in my router table.

Another dry fit to test the joints.

I lightly clamped the pieces together and slowly trimmed the top
and bottom insets to the proper size.


All ready for glue up.
 
I am glued up the sides first and used the top and botton insets to keep everything square.
What is that famous saying about clamps?
 

The sides of the box all glued up.

Next time I am going to use some tape to mask off the glue joints first.

Top and bottom insets glued in and drying.

It's a box!

I set my table saw up for a 1 1/2" wide cut and a little over 1/2" deep.

I cut the 2 long sides first.

I then put some shims in before cutting the 2 short ends.

The top has been cut off!

For some reason these cuts went a little deeper.

I tried to even it out when I sanded but ended up making it a little worse.

I sanded it some more and then added a chamfer on the router table and it evened it out.

This was my first time using Danish Oil.

I applied the first coat and then went ate lunch and came back about 45 minutes later and applied
a second coat.  I then came back 15 minutes later and wiped the whole thing down.
It ended up taking a couple of days for the wood to stop feeling oily.

I picked up some adhesive backed felt at Michaels and applied some to the bottom.  I also
measured and marked for the hinges.

I finally got to use my new mallet on it's first project.

I used my 1/2" chisel score inside the line for the hinge.  I then used the same
chisel to gently pry the pieces out.

I marked and then drilled holes for the mounting screws.

It's a box!

I applied some spray adhesive to the back of a picture and mounted it to the inside of the lid.
 

February 14, 2013

Thumb Chair update

I was able to work on the thumb chair and it is progressing nicely.



The plans call for 1x12's for the seat and back but my local Home Depot never has
1x12's that aren't warped so I glued two 1x6's for the back
and two 1x6's and a 1x2 for the seat.

The back all glued up.

I cut the seat and back to length on the tablesaw.

Safety first!

I try to involve my son whenever I can.

The seat back cut to length and width.

The back is cut at a 10 bevel to allow it to lean back.

I also cut the seat at the same level so that it would match up.

I used a 1/4" roundover bit on my router table to round the top of the seat.


I stopped it right before the seat back to make a cleaner joint.

I used my jigsaw to round the corners on the top of the seat back.

 This is post 2 of a 3 part series.


and part 3 here: