December 20, 2012

Installing my new vise

I bought a vise at Harbor Freight with another 20% off coupon.  It's another one of those small projects that
ended up being more work than I expected.
It's not the best one in the world but it is definitely better than no vise.  I hate having no vises....




The clamping mechanism ended up being a little smaller than I expected.




I placed the vice in position and marked where the lower clamp needed to go in.


The lower mech is 1" wide so I used a 1.25" Forstner bit to make a hole.



I opened the bottom with my cordless jigsaw.


I tried to square it off with my jigsaw and then a file.  I put a corded jigsaw on my Christmas list along with a dado set for my tablesaw.


This is what it looks like from the inside.


I screwed in a piece of 2x4 to brace the part where I cut and to have extra support for where I screw vice down into the top of the workbench.


I predrilled the mounting holes down into the extra 2x4 brace.




Not neccessarily my cleanest install but it will do the job.


I pre drilled the holes into the 2x4 brace but not into the the workbench itself.  This bit shattered when the screw hit the workbench wood.  I drilled out the remaining 3 holes into the workbench and had no more issues.

Installed and ready for use.  I am debating on whether I want to mount some pieces of wood to the inside of the vice or not.  I will probably end up doing it just because I get bored.


December 17, 2012

The mallet is done! The mallet is done!

The mallet is finally done!  How could such a small thing take so long?
 



I cut the extra piece off with my flush trim saw.


This was the first time that I used the saw and it would appear that I cut a little too aggresively.


60 grit sandpaper smoothed it right out.  Followed by 80 and 120.

Time for the finish.


Now I just need to put some leather on the end to cushion the blows.  These 2 pieces of leather took me forever to find.  No shops around me sell leather.

I cut 2 pieces down to size.  I am going to save the black for the next mallet.

I put the glue on both sides and let it get tacky.


A little weight to help the bonding.

I then cut the excess off with a razor blade knife.

All trimmed up!

THE MALLET IS DONE!

December 11, 2012

The Mallet is almost done! Finally....

I was finally able to work a little bit more on the mallet this past weekend.  All I need to do now is cut off the excess wood from the wedges and give it a final sanding and then apply some boiled linseed oil and it will be finished!

I made a quick jig to cut the slots for the wedges to go into.


I cut the wedges for the top of the handle at 5 degrees.  Next time I think that I will try 3 or 4 degrees.
5 ended up being just a little too big.

I bought enough wood to make 2 mallets so this is the piece that I am going to
use to make the head of the 2nd mallet.  It is the same species that I used for the handle of
my current mallet.

I bought a drum sander kit at Lowes to shape the handle.  It is amazing what 50 grit sandpaper can do!
I shaped it with the 50 and then smoothed it with 80 and then 120.


It fits in my hand nicely!

I filed the shoulder down a little so that the head would fit snugly and then sanded everything with
the orbital sander with 120 grit sandpaper.


I glued the head onto the handle and then the wedges into the slots.