September 17, 2012

Hall Tree assembly part 1

I started assembly on the Hall Tree last night.  I ran into some unexpected problems so I didn't get as much done as I had hoped to.

I started with the rear backsplash for the shelf at the top.  This one went pretty well.  I used my
Rockler Clampit and it did a good job.



This is the bottom with the apron in the front.  Since the pocket holes are on the inside I put the Clampit on the outside.  In hindsight I should have put the clamps all the way to the inside of the Clampit.  I had put them further out to allow me to get the drill to the pocket hole but I think putting the clamps all the way inside would have worked better.  The wood ended up drifting and one of the screws split the edge of the front corner.

I forced some glue into the split and clamped it and you can barely tell now.  I just need to do some sanding and after I paint it you will never know.

I got the top shelf mounted, glued and screwed in and I was very happy with the result.

Only the top shelf, backsplash, and bottom front apron are actually attached.  I dry fit the rest to see how it looks.  I hope to get the rest of it assembled tonight.




2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much. As with most of my projects, it is taking longer than I would like but the end is almost in sight.

    ReplyDelete